Cedar City High School Class of 1960 Blog

N to R

This is a compilation of Class Photos, life stories, biographies, and Current Photos of our classmates. We would like to have information that you are willing to share about yourself, your accomplishments, and meaningful events in your life since graduation from high school. Please help us by providing information about you (or others for that matter), which might be interesting to know, especially things funny or unique.

We encourage you to update your biography by clicking on the ‘comments section ’ and let us know what you have been doing, places you have gone, and anything that likely be of interest to your other classmates. Also, include a current picture of yourself if you can. The information and picture will be moved from there to the “Biographies” section.

The list is in alphabetical order by FIRST name, not last.

Photos & Family Info Biography

I am so grateful that I was born and raised in Cedar City Utah.  I always felt secure and safe there.  I loved the town and people and felt sorry for anyone who did not live there.  I grew up enjoying life and the excitement of it.  Friend’s and family will always be wonderful memories for me.
Growth and progress change a lot of things.  It is hard to let go of the landmarks and things that meant so much to me growing up.  Thing that are gone now include, my home on 300 West, the old library on main Street, the Candy Kitchen, movie theaters, my first grade, elementary, junior high and high school building.  I’m glad for the memories and all the good times I had there.

After high school graduation, I worked for First Security Bank in Cedar.  I went to one year of college at CSU and one quarter of college at USU.  I married Lyle Fullmer of Menan, Idaho and worked at First Security Bank in Logan to help him get through school at USU. After graduation, we moved to Menan, Idaho.  We lived on a large sugar beet/potato farm and milked 50 head of dairy cows.  I worked in Idaho Falls for First Security Bank.  My first daughter, Francine, was born there. 
After two years we moved to Canby, Oregon where my husband took a teaching job.  My son, Jan, was born there.  We later moved to Kent, Washington and from there to Salt Lake City, Utah.  Here my third child, Barbara, was born.My husband spoke fluent German because of his mission to Austria.  He decided to take a teaching job in Germany.  We moved there in 1971 and returned in 1973.  We were able to travel a lot and experience lots of different cultures and people. Upon returning to the US we moved to St George, Utah.  We divorced in 1973.   I moved back to Cedar and worked for State Bank of Southern Utah for the next four years.  While in Cedar, I met and married the most wonderful man in the world-Stan Mecham.  He was from Tropic, Utah and that’s where we still make our home-32 years later.  Stan and I put two families together and also had two sons of our own.  We are a “Yours, Mine and Ours” family. My husband told me before we got married that his passion was lion hunting.  Over the years we have been the owners of countless hounds, mules and horses to help Stan enjoy his hunting and also to guide many people that come from all over the country.  Stan worked in Tropic as a custodian for the schools.  He also farmed and owned a trail ride business at Ruby’s Inn near Bryce Canyon.  He doesn’t do much guiding anymore but continues to train his hounds and then sells them.  He still raises a lot of hay to feed our horses and cattle.  He also sells hay to feed our 32 dogs.
After moving to Tropic I began working for Ruby’s Inn first at the motel desk, then the restaurant and finally the gift store where I was a buyer, shelf stocker, hired and trained new employees and coordinated schedules.  I told Eldon Schmutz I wished he would build me a bank in Tropic.  He smiled and said,”okay.”  Years later I was excited when John Westwood called me and asked me if I would work for state Bank if they build one in Tropic.  I enjoyed the job at Ruby’s Inn, but after 15 years, I was ready to get back to banking.  I was the Operations Manager and Asst. Vice Pres of our branch.
I retired in 2007 and have often wondered how I ever worked.  I run errands for Stan and the older  members of our community, stay busy running to doctor appointments to take care of all our “old age” ailments (I’m sure you all can relate), help grandkids, do extraction work for the church and attend the temple in St. George.
I have loved living here in Tropic and the Bryce Valley area.  When you live in a small community, all the happy moments and tragedies for everyone are deeply felt.  We have had our share of ups and downs just with our own family.  I am so grateful for my membership and testimony of the LDS church.  The Lord has truly blessed me and helped me through many good and hard times in my life.  I’m grateful to have served in the church in many capacities-Relief Society president and teacher, Primary and Sunday School teacher and they even called me to sing in the choir. 
I can’t sing but I’m a blender and take up space.Stan and I have talked about a Church Mission, but he says that he can’t breath out of Garfield County so the two missions we have served as ward and stake missionaries will have to do.   My callings have taught me so much and I love to serve the Lord. I love being home.  I read, make quilts, love to cook, love genealogy and having family come home.  We have 9 children, 20 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren.  They are the joy of my life.  It makes my day to have the kids call and tell me the cute things the grandkids say.  Life is great!  I’m glad I was a part of the class of 1960.  I am grateful to all of you, my classmates, for your good influences and friendships throughout the years.  Hope to see you all at the next reunion.
Spouse:  Stan Mecham
Children:  Nine
Grandchildren:  Twenty Great Grandchildren:  Five
Residence:  Tropic, UT

I came to Cedar as a sophomore from a very small junior high in Elsinore, UT.  To my relief I was well accepted by many fine students who became great, positive friends.  I graduated a few weeks early because four of my classmates and I left for a 6 month training stint with the National Guard, in Puerto Rico, California, and Oklahoma.  On my return, I was called to the Northern California mission, which also included parts of lower Or, the northern half of NV, and eventually expanded into places like Tooele and Cedar City.  It was a very productive, growing experience socially and spiritually.  Returning to Cedar after my mission, I enrolled at CSU with a composite major in Art Education and married Kaye Tucker, a fellow art major.  The marriage lasted 30 years and we had 7 wonderful children, 5 sons and 2 daughters. Upon graduation, my first contract was with Delta High where I was asked to teach art classes with a minuscule budget:  drawing paper was found in wastebaskets from the typing classes.  Six months later, rescue came in the form of an offer from Payson High School, a rewarding 30 year career.  At first I was asked to teach yearbook, history and teen law as well as art subjects.  As the school grew and my classes bulged at 35 students each, a second art teacher was hired.  Having a large family and a stay-at-home mother made another source of income necessary, and my second job at night, weekends and summer months was as a journeyman electrician for 39 years, a skill I had learned with my uncle at age 16.  I did all types of wiring over the years, but my favorite and most memorable job was when my family and I flew to Samoa to live for about a year and a half, where I wired the Samoa and Tonga Temples.  What a grand adventure, experiencing those warm people, the beaches, waterfalls, the new customs. Crossing over the International Date Line between the temples resulted in 8 day weeks.  We had very little heavy equipment, so more than once I witnessed local Samoans, 12 strong, lift and carry large storage sheds, just like that!  Another memorable experience was replacing the exterior lights on the tops of the Manti temple towers, hanging from ropes in the wind.  Inside, the towers have beautiful workmanship where very few people ever see it…For the glory of God.  After retiring from teaching, I  continued to work as an electrician until I could retire.  Meanwhile, I married my current wife, Carol, in 2001, and now can’t imagine how I ever found time to work.  We are happy and deeply in love.  We served a wonderful mission at Cove Fort in 2006, would love to serve again, and recommend with no reservations that couples serve a mission together before their birth certificates expire!

We keep busy with counting grandkids, now 31 between us, church callings, visiting family, traveling all over the States, 4-wheeling with friends, pursuing jewelry making, pottery, family history, camping, fishing, hunting, photography, gold panning and rock hunting.  We’ve also visited Europe, Poland, Honduras, and a two month “ancestry” trip in our mini-motor home to New England.  But we’re happiest when we return to our charming home in Mapleton, built in 1886 and set back from the street under the shade of huge old maples.  On our first date, I had exclaimed, “I would love to landscape your place!”  Wow, did I get my wish… gardens, a gazebo, stream, waterfall, a new “barn” housing cars, a jewelry workshop, and upstairs, an antique-filled art studio, and a pottery barn built from an old silo.  Home additions include an added on bathroom, walk-in closet, and a large upstairs office.  I’m happiest when I have a creative project to pursue, so rocking on our front porch is not an option.  We are looking forward to the 55th reunion with “old” friends!

Spouse:  Carol
Children: Seven
Grandchildren:  31
Residence:  Mapleton, UT

Spouse:  Max Maxwell
Residence:  St. George, UT

Pamela Parry

Spouse:  John Thomson
Residence:  West Valley City, UT

Residence:   Salt Lake City, UT

Spouse:  Gary Reinard
Residence:   Mountain View, UT

Spouse:  Callie
Residence:  Alburquerque, NM

Spouse:  Grover Lewis
Residence:  La Verkin, UT
Ray Meeks
Great Grandchildren:
Residence:  Vernal, UT


AL (Ricky) Lawrence

Lately I have been working on a new project aimed at tracing the source of long-term memory in the cells of the nervous system.  Some of my recent activities are detailed on this wiki:  https://www.nbcr.net/pub/wiki/index.php?title=Tomography_Day_2008
Spouse: Julie L Ewing
Great Grandchildren:
Residence: Escondido, CA

I have had the opportunity to read a number of the “life sketches” many of you have written. What a pleasure to recall many of the memories we share and a number of items that I have forgotten plus many things I never knew. One thing is for sure, I am grateful to be numbered among what I consider to be a collection of the finest individuals of our generation. It isn’t often that a person gets a chance to write what amounts to an “Autographical Obituary”, but here goes……I was born in Tacoma, Washington in the Army base hospital while my Dad was stationed at Ft. Lewis.  We moved to San Francisco where Dad was stationed at the Presidio and then to Paso Robles, California, Camp Roberts. Dad was transferred to The Pacific for the last years of the war, so my Mom and sister and I returned to Cedar City where we lived with my Grandmother, two aunts, and an uncle and Mom, me and my sister and four cousins. That’s eleven of us in the small Walker home on Third West. The neighbors and friends I had on Third West in the Third Ward have been life-long friends who I will never forget. One good thing that will come out of this reunion is to settle once and for all when the East Elementary opened and who of us attended East Elementary and who stayed in the old West Elementary.There isn’t one of us (mostly the boys, I suspect) who doesn’t have special memories about Cedar Mountain, the Red Hill, Duck Creek, Navajo Lake, Coal Creek, the Leigh Hill, the Polly-Wog Pond, and whether or not we’ll admit it, going to St George in the early Spring to shake the snow and mud from our beings.I had a great senior year, especially after consorting with Mrs. Palmer and concocting a plan to try out and possibly get elected as a cheerleader for our senior year with Nellie Ray Whatcott and Francis Wood. Cedar High, once again had a male cheer leader following the footsteps of Jerald Sherrett. During the summer of my junior year I worked at Zion Inn as a bell hop. We had a great number of employees and forged friendships that would last a life time. During that summer, the Inn Manager and three other boys including myself set out to climb the face of The Watchman at the South entrance of the Park. During the assent, one of the boys, second in line, lost his footing and fell several hundred feet to his death, almost knocking me off the face of the mountain with him as I was the last climber. This incident was one of many close calls with death that I have had in my lifetime, leaving me with the opinion that I have been protected from an un-timely death for some reason yet to be determined. In my junior year I went rabbit hunting with Glen Crawford, Billy Short and Neil Beatty. We had a great time. The next day Billy and Neil came by to see if Glen and I could go hunting again. We were unable to join them and later that afternoon, Billy and Neal were killed in the explosion of a dynamite storage bunker west of town on the Leigh Hill. 

After graduating from High School, I went back to Zion to work another summer. There I met Laurel Frandsen of Price, Utah who would become my wife. We went to school at CSU where Laurel got her teaching credential and I got my AA degree. We worked together at Zion for two summers, two summers at Bryce where I worked for Standard Oil at the Park and the summer of 1963 Laurel stayed home, to get ready for our wedding and I worked for Standard Oil at Kanab.

We were married in the Logan Temple in August and moved to San Jose, California where Laurel taught school for thirty-nine years. I graduated from San Jose State and joined the San Jose Police Department. I retired in l993 just short of thirty years service.

As a rookie, working patrol, I got caught up with the confrontations in our society that came about during the Viet Nam War and the Black Power movement. Officers from the San Jose Police Department were bused to Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco State, Stanford University and San Jose State to face off with demonstrators and get rocks, bricks and baggies full of chicken blood thrown at us. The San Jose Police Department was very progressive and had large numbers of college graduates among our numbers with four officers who had their doctorate degrees. San Jose required police applicants to have completed their AA degree. My career in Uniformed Patrol was cut short when I was selected along with six other officers to form what became the Crime Prevention Unit. We attended schools and business and community organizations to discuss and explain what the Police Departments programs were in the face of the confusion that existed throughout our country. Anyone remember Kent State, Mario Savio, the Black Panthers, and Patty Hearst?

I was promoted to Sergeant early in my career and was assigned to the Detective Bureau where I spent the next fifteen years in the Fraud Unit. I was an officer in the California Fraud Investigator’s Association and served as President of the organization. I then worked in the Juvenile and Domestic Violence Unit. I chased suspects around the country and even arrested a suspect in one of my cases in Parowan when I was in Cedar for our yearly vacation. We arrested him, put him in the slammer until I finished our vacation and came back to Cedar and extradited the man back to California. Parowan was only too glad to get rid of the trouble maker.

I was transferred back to Patrol for the last five years of my career. It was a dream assignment. I worked as an administrative Sergeant in the Patrol Division. I then went back on the streets as a district supervisor. I supervised senior teams because of my seniority and most of the team members knew more about uniformed patrol than I did since I spent most of my career in the Detective Bureau. My last assignment was as a supervisor of Uniformed Officers at the San Jose Airport. The best kept secret in the police department.

Laurel and I had three daughters and we lived in Santa Clara, California most of our thirty-nine years.  It was a wonderful place to live and we loved California.  The church played a central part of our lives and I served as Bishop in the seventies and eighties.  I served on the Stake High Council and during our last ten years in California, I worked in the Oakland Temple.  The last Temple President I served under was Durrel Woolsey from Escalante, Utah but he went to high school in Cedar.  His wife is Larae Wood from Kanarraville.  They were good friends of Rulon and Lois Woodbury.  Laurel and I, the Woolseys and the Woodburys spent years trading messages and greetings back and forth.

When Laurel was finally ready to retire, after teaching for thirty-nine years, she ended up working as a reading specialist in a section of San Jose comprised mostly of Mexicans and Viet Namiese. Who is teaching who?  We sold our home in 2002 and moved to Alpine where we had bought a home one year earlier.  We were amazed to learn that our next door neighbor was none other than the Woolseys.  Another neighbor was Brian Higbee, a first cousin to Roger Higbee.

It is amazing to discover how many California friends moved from the San Jose area and have settled here in Salt Lake and Utah Counties.  It is also amazing to discover how many Cedar High students live here in Northern Utah.   It is great getting together with them for dinners and social events.  We love being back in Utah, especially here in Alpine.

During our stay in California I had a consulting business where I did tax accounting and worked as a Private Investigator.  Tax accounting keeps me busy during tax season, but most of my P.I. business comes from California and it has to be a very lucrative job to get me to accept work in California.

Two of our three daughters live in Utah and our oldest daughter lives in Paso Robles, California.  What a neat town Paso is (changed a lot since I lived there when I was three years old).  Paso Robles has become competitive with Napa, California as a wine capital.  We have eleven grand children.

Note the picture of Lori and I (see Fun Photos) the night we attended the Zeta Christmas Ball.  Lori looked great, but who is that ugly girl he is dancing with?  Fred Adams didn’t think it was very amusing and the consensus among the school was split 50-50.  The first funeral I conducted as a Bishop was that of a young man who was a cousin of Fed and Barbara’s.  Can you imagine Fred’s surprise to discover I was the Bishop for his relative’s there in California.

At our 100th Class Reunion, I will finish the rest of the story, stay tuned.

Spouse:  Laurel Frandsen
Children:  3
Grandchildren:  11
Residence:  Alpine, UT

Spouse:  Deanna
Residence:  Cedar City, UT
Robert Lowder
Residence: Salt Lake City, UT

Enjoying the website from Portland, OR where every rainy gray day is just fine by me.  My partner, Paul, and I have been together for a dozen years.  Between us, 7 kids (WA, OR, IN, OH, IL, China, Denmark) and 17 grandkids.  Paul continues whetting his classical organ skills of 50 years and cutting CDs, but he seldom gives recitals now.  I still work full-time as a career coach for really interesting folks at all levels and professions whose jobs have disappeared during mergers, buy-outs, outsourcing, etc.  I help them figure out what they want to do going forward, teach them how to market themselves, and then coach them through a strategic process.  Very satisfying; no plans to retire.  I also ghost-write textbooks and other training material.  Earlier, I owned a leadership development company; and before that, worked 30 years at several airlines where I led human resources, training, sales and marketing, and operations.Whew!  Enough about me.  It’s been good to reconnect with several of you during the past year.  Looking forward to more of the same.  Emails welcomed.  Very grateful for the positive influence of growing up with our Cedar City class.
Partner: Paul Richter
Children:  7
Grandchildren:   17
Residence:  Portland, OR

After High School I attended CSU for two years in “pre-med” with Chad Halverson and Roger Halterman and while there I was Escaus in Romeo and Juliet, or as Fred Adams taught, “Rome A O and Julyet.”  Then I served a mission to the Northwestern States (WA, OR, and ID).  I was Wes Kitchen’s first companion and J Travis Nelson was my first Supervisor.  After my mission I helped Dad build the Astro Motel next to Corry Real Estate on South main in Cedar.  Then I attended U of U for completion of pre-med.  While there I met Jan Cromar (an Olympus High grad).  We were married two weeks before Medical School started at the U of U.   David Arthur Lewis, Michael Belden Lewis, and Jason Howard Lewis were all born during medical school years. Then I served six years in the US Army Medical Corps starting at Madigan General Hospital Fort Lewis, Washington for Internship. Then we moved to Fort Dix New Jersey for residency training in Family Practice (1970-72). Chad Wayne Lewis was born there. From 1972 to 75 I served as the Assistant Chief of the Family Practice Residency Program at Silas B. Hays Army Hospital, Fort Ord California. Our last son Todd Bryan Lewis was born there. We have five sons and none, null, zero, zilch daughters!! We do have five daughters-in-law however. We now have 28 grand children all living within thirty minutes of our home in Orem, Utah.  We moved to our present home in Orem, Utah in October, 1975 where I continued my medical practice until  I retired in 2007.  I’ve received the Silver Beaver award in Scouting,  taught Priesthood and Gospel Doctrine classes and spent ten years as a worker at the Timpanogos Temple.  Just for fun I’ve read arcane mystical stuff to compliment Standard Works. Jan was on the State PTA Board and  President of the Alpine School District Board.  She was also President of the State School Board Association.  I’m a fan of UofU where our son Mike Played defensive end and tackle for four years and BYU where sons Dave, Chad and Todd played.  Chad played nine years in the NFL (8 with the Philadelphia Eagles (tight end) and one with the Rams).  In addition to being a famous football player, he speaks fluent Chinese mandarin and is an author.  His book  “SURROUND YOURSELF WITH GREATNESS” has been well received both in Utah and Philadelphia. I highly recommend it.  Twenty years ago this week July 2nd 1990  on reunion eve I experienced life saving surgery to stop the bleeding from an infection caused aneurysm that required clipping off blood supply to the motor strip in my brains right side leaving me with partial paralysis of my entire left side.. I have received enormous support from many class members as well as family. I thank all of you that have been so helpful. See Ya at our 50 year reunion.
Spouse:  Jan Cromar
Children: Five
Grandchildren: 28
Residence:  Orem, UT

Ronda Nielson

I am a silversmith specializing in earrings. I strive to design stunningly beautiful earrings that are wearable and to improve my practice.  My website is:http://www.zoomingangel.jewelspan.com/
Residence:  Salt Lake City, UT

Royal Blake

Spouse:  Wilma
Residence:  St. George, UT

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: